4 hoagie rolls, halved lengthwise (we only used 3 for dinner and saved the next one for lunch the next day)
4 links of sweet turkey italian sausage, cut into 1" thick pieces (they get a little mushy but it's ok)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (to hide it from picky kids)
1 TSP minced garlic
1 cup marinara sauce (more or less depending on preference, we used a bit more)
1 small red pepper, finely chopped (again, to hide it from picky kids)
1/4 TSP black pepper
1 cup shredded part skim mozz cheese
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Hollow out the top halves of the rolls. Arrange the rolls, cut sides up on a baking sheet. Broil 1-2 minutes until toasted (pay close attention so they don't burn). Set aside.
3. Heat a large non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage to the pan, cook a few minutes or until slightly browned, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the onion & garlic to the sausage, cook 1 minute longer.
5. Add the marinara sauce, bell pepper and black pepper. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the pepper is tender (or in my case, let cook on "warm" on the stove for 30 minutes because the hubby was stuck in awful traffic, lol).
6. Arrange about 3/4 cup sausage mixture over bottom half of each roll, sprinkle each with some cheese.
7. Place on baking sheet, broil 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Top with the top halves of rolls.