Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Grilled Chicken Parmesan Sub with Eggplant
WOW. My husband amazed us again with this latest kitchen creation. Most delicious sub I've ever had and healthy too! He's so creative lately and I am NOT complaining. Even my kids gobbled this up. So flavorful and delicious. And all of the main ingredients came to less than $12 (excluding the things we always have on hand like EVOO & italian seasoning).
1 package of boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins
4 six inch sub rolls from the bakery department of your local store (ours were $.50 each)
1 package part skim Mozzarella Cheese (or 1/4 lb if buying from a deli)
1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut in 1/2" slices
1 small jar of Prego marinara sauce (or your own favorite)
1 TBS EVOO
2 TBS italian seasoning
1. Heat grill to medium- high heat.
2. Pour the EVOO in the smallest bowl you have. Add 1 TBS italian seasoning and stir to mix.
3. Lay out the eggplant slices on a plate. Lightly brush each piece with a little of the EVOO / Italian Seasoning mix.
4. Sprinkle the chicken tenderloins with the other TBS of italian seasoning.
5. Add chicken & eggplant to the grill.
6. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 and put the marinara sauce in a small pan on the stove on low-medium.
7. Gently turn the eggplant over after a few minutes. Be careful not to let overcook. A few minutes on each side should be good enough. When chicken is thoroughly cooked, transfer to a plate. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes and then slice the tenders into 2-3" chunks. Then slice the eggplant pieces in half. The eggplant should be soft, but not mushy if cooked correctly.
8. Cut the sub rolls in half with a bread knife (be careful not to cut all the way through). Add a few pieces of chicken and eggplant to each roll. Then stuff in 1/2 piece of cheese each. Add 1-2 TBS of the sauce on top (more or less to taste preference), then add another full piece of cheese on top. Place the sub rolls against the outer edge of a baking pan to keep them upright. Put in oven for 3-5 minutes but WATCH CLOSELY. You just want the cheese to melt. Enjoy!